
I really wish I was more dedicated to this blog stuff... I have tons of thoughts that I want to share, but basically, I think I am either too lazy or just don't have the time to keep up with it... or I get distracted... which leads me to today's post.
"Distraction is the diversion of attention of an individual or group from the chosen object of attention onto the source of distraction. (I hate definitions... so I was distracted while reading it... do you see the irony? even this is a distraction!) Distraction is caused by one of the following: lack of ability to pay attention (hello! me!) ; lack of interest in the object of attention; greater interest in something other than the object of attention; or the great intensity, novelty or attractiveness of something other than the object of attention." That's Webster's definition of distraction, but my version... and how it applies to me... "Distraction is Satan's attempt to keep me from learning what God is trying to teach me, attempt to keep me OUT of my quiet time, attempt to keep me from the Bible, and my willingness to allow it." Simply put... I absolutely HATE distractions! Funny, even as I am typing this, the buzzer of the dryer goes off, the phone rings, my "Absolutely HAS to be Done Today" to do list falls off the desk, Michael W. Smith's "A New Hallelujah" CD is playing... and of course you have to sing with that... yep, distractions! I am determined to finish this though...
Last Sunday was my day of distractions... Kevin leads worship for our church, so he leaves earlier than I do. I always stop by Starbucks to get coffee for him, our dear friends Walt and Rebecca and myself (occasionally a carmel whatever it's called for Christie). After getting to church I realized they messed up the order... so I had to drive back to Starbucks to get it right... after all, I have to have coffee to start the day... as I was driving back (three minutes away) I realized I was MISSING my worship time by doing this. Sure, I enjoy having coffee in the morning, but it can not replace coming face to face with my God during worship! I hurried and exchanged the coffees and got back... but a distraction from worship had occured. When I got back, worship was still going on (Thank you Lord!) In the middle of it, Kevin's string to his guitar breaks... distraction, then the other guitar player's string breaks... Distraction. Then, while our Pastor was teaching... people were getting up and going to the bathroom and passing in front of our Pastor... there are back doors that lead to the restrooms, but for some reason they chose the front. Not just one person, but several and even though I am sure it was very unintentional... it was a distraction from God's Word... a couple had a toddler in the front row (yes, we have a nursery... really nice one too) who was throwing her toys, bottles, whatever she could throw to get them to retrieve (we have all played this game once)... she had them trained... DISTRACTION! Finally, our Pastor also was tired of the distractions and dealt with them... in the middle of the service. See how all of that works... the enemy really does not want us to know God... especially in an intimate way.
You know... but the enemy has been defeated... I have decided to turn these distractions around to work for God, not the enemy. In everything, God is present, whether it be a distraction or anything else... God is present. I need to stop, listen and pray... whether it is for myself, a friend or for the person causing the distraction. I feel that if I turn it around to a praying time or praising time... the enemy has been defeated. I guess I could have called this blog a distraction as well, but I am choosing not to :c) It feels good to be able to say what's on my mind and what God is teaching me, and I am thankful for those who read it and leave comments. I hope it isn't distracting you from your time with our Lord. If it is... please stop and find your Bible... that's the place we all need to be... sitting at His feet, is where we should want to be... at home when we are with Him... renewed by His grace (Michael W. Smith is singing this on the CD, but how appropriate eh?) Have a great week, may it be filled with only His distractions!

No comments:
Post a Comment