Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Memory, A Leaving Poem

Mom's lilies that come up every Spring.


Christie is becoming our little poet. When we knew that my Mom had only a few short days left on this earth, my sisters came to Houston to spend those days with her and help me with her care. Looking back, it was probably a few of the most memorable days of my life so far. God taught me so much about my Mom, about my sisters... and about my family. The weeks up to my Mom's death was hard and very busy... she went from bad to worse... and like I said... it was hard. My sweet husband and precious daughters were there to help out as well. Kevin would play his guitar for her, the girls would help rub her head and her back... etc. On July 31st, Kevin and I took Kim (youngest sis) and her small kids and my daughters to Sea World, while my sister Linda, stayed with Mom. Linda is an RN, and when we returned very late, she told us that Mom didn't have much longer. So Linda, Kim, Christie and I sat in Mom's room, talking about the "old days", our childhood, just having some fun. Christie was busy under my Mom's hospital bed writing away... this is what she wrote:

Memory,
A Leaving Poem

by Christie Andersen

If God would give you one more day,
I think I would use that chance and say,
How much in my heart you mean to me,
Before you had to get up and leave

I’ll miss you more than anything,
But I’ll see you again dancing with my King.
You will dwell in my memory,
And in my heart is where you’ll be.

There are billions of people living here,
None of which I hold as dear.
Forgetting anything you’ve done wrong,
You’ll be in Heaven where you belong.

I’ll remember your laugh and smile,
The way the baking plans would pile.
The sewing machine stitching,
Wild jokes pitching
Cards flying, fun never dying

Now I see lying there,
Drifting into Jesus’ care.
Everything will be okay;
We’ll see each other again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment